Old 08-06-2010, 10:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
kelsh

Exclamation AS's possible prison time...

Hi LiteHorse,

It is sad to know your son is going to be confined in jail even longer. I wish that was where my son was now instead of being a quadriplegic confined to bed or a wheelchair. He was in the Navy four years right out of highschool & came home with a big alcohol problem & some drug use.

He was in the VA Hospital off & on after his initial discharge to go to his own home with caregivers. He was a very active outdoor person so this must be hard for him. He has never talked with his Dad or me about driving his truck over a cliff while drunk. This happened in 2002.

He is living in an Adult Family Home for Special Needs & gets excellant care. He is about 100 miles from us so we see him more often than before. He is not much of a visiter or phone talker unless he needs something.

I have had a terrible time handling this but finally a counselor showed me how to change my emotions & feelings since this was a situation that cannot be changed. This really is helping me so I don't feel so sad all the time.

He is 40 years old & has two sons 18 & 16. They live near us & their Mom helps us with taking them or picking them up when they spend the weekend with their Dad. The oldest one has a car now so they don't need rides until he goes to college.

I wish you the best for you & your son. Even if it feels like we are not making headway on communication it still seems like our son loves us a whole lot.

kelsh