View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
murrill

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Until I was willing to see that I was the one making myself miserable, not the alcoholic, there was nothing I could (or was willing) to do to change things. Until I stopped blaming the alcoholic for the circumstances in my life, I believed I was a victim of his behavior, of his disease.

It took a very astute therapist to help me see that my life and my misery were my own--even without the alcoholic. For these reasons, I am grateful that my marriage to an alcoholic brought me to my knees and drove me to reach out for help. I surely would have gone on repeating the same patterns and clinging to the same faulty beliefs otherwise.

L
Excellent points. I am an alcoholic, but that merely the dressing that disguised other problems. It was when I quit drinking that I discovered a plethora of issues that had to be addressed. I consider myself fortunate to have been an alcoholic, because otherwise I would not have been forced to seek help. I could have gone on blaming everyone and anyone for my misery.