View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sasha4

I remember reading an article about a wife of an alcoholic who had been sober for 10 years and it was quite sad.

She discussed how her husband every year stood up at meetings and thanked his sponsor for helping him be sober. He never once thought to thank her. He just expected that as his wife she would support him.

She also recalled going out for meals and watching other couples share a bottle of wine and how they used to do that but could no longer and feeling sad and envious.

In no way am I saying that you should drink with your husband, but I think that you may need to consider how he feels a bit more. I think that unfortunately, in our society, plans to enjoy yourself often include drinking, especially as a couple. Be it going for a meal, sharing wine on the sofa, cooking a meal together, going for a pub lunch. etc etc.

We often don't know how to enjoy ourselves without drinking.

For somebody that does not have a problem with drink, the thought of no more drinking together could be quite scary. Especially if you have not had many low points in your drinking career or lost a job, money etc etc.

Maybe trying to find ways to enjoy your time together without booze may make him feel a bit better.

I hope you understand what I am saying and I wish you lots of luck

xx