Thread: please help
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

Welcome to SR, User1234. A lot of good information has been offered already. I hope there is some that you are ready to use.

I do not know all of your story, but I know that when I first came to SR, I was convinced that all the problems in my marriage were because of my STBXAH's drinking or my fault for having a problem with it. I could not acknowledge or was even aware that how he treated me was not normal; I did not understand that his behavior was abusive or that it certainly wasn't caused by his drinking.

So, in being able to acknowledge that he is mean and verbally abuse, you have an amazing insight (scary but powerful) into the nature of your relationship.

As Live points out: alcoholism and abuse are two separate issues. While alcohol can loosen inhibitions, it does not make a person abusive.

Please, please, know that you did absolutely nothing wrong by talking to a friend when you were scared and needed help. What you did was not a betrayal. I hope you will keep reading and posting here. Please read through the stickies and the information about abuse.

Keep yourself safe and take gentle care of yourself.