Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
GettingStronger2

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Heh,

The "mortification" factor goes away pretty quickly, in my experience. There is nothing inherently shameful about becoming addicted. Nobody sets out to do it.

Part of the recovery work we do allows us to accept ourselves for who we are. Mostly it's newcomers who worry about being "found out" as members of a recovery program. We still respect everyone's right to privacy and wouldn't dream of gossiping about it, no matter how open someone is about his/her recovery. The only one with a right to "break anonymity" is the person him/herself.
Gotta agree, Lexie. In fact, for me, I had no "mortification" feeling at all. I sometimes wish I would see people I know from outside AA in the rooms!

Why is it that we can be drunk, out of control, dangerous and stupid, and that is okay, but when we get help, stop drinking and improve our lives we have to be ashamed, anonymous and mortified?

I'm an alcoholic. I don't drink anymore. I know I have a disease and I seek help to keep it from coming out of remission. No, I don't feel mortified, I feel grateful and okay. (And yes, a little proud of myself for doing it!)