View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
MTWildflower

This is just my own theory, but I try not to let those "pop into my brain" thoughts bother me.

I think of it this way: based on what I've read, some people who have OCD have thoughts of, say, hurting a loved one and they become obsessed with these thoughts and terrified that they're actually going to hurt someone. And of course, they're not. They're just having glitchy thoughts that get spit out by the brain into their consciousness and it doesn't mean that they actually want to hurt someone and it doesn't mean that their hand is going to pick up a weapon all on its own.

To translate this to my own situation, the addiction causes the brain glitch that sends out these "Oooh, let's drink now!" thoughts. It's just neurons firing in wrong ways for wrong reasons.

It doesn't mean I have to listen to them, it doesn't mean I actually even *want* to drink in my conscious mind, and it doesn't mean that I'm in danger of having my legs walk me into a bar without my permission.

I try to think of those instant ping thoughts has an annoying mosquito I swat away.

Anyway, just my theory, everyone's experience is different.