View Single Post
Old 07-27-2002, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SerenityLodge
Paused

Smile

Kitty,

My thoughts and prayers and hugs are with you today.

What has been said already is so important. Stay in today, but, be prepared to "go" quickly and safely to another spot if you are in danger. Have a bag packed and stashed somewhere else so that you have what you need in case of an emergency.

And by all means, let your support group there (the "in person" ones) know what's going on so that when you need to, you can call and not have to explain why you need help immediately.

Have at least one person arrange to call you every night at a specific time (change it every day) to check on you, just in case. And have arranged ahead of time a secret phrase to say in case you are being "watched" when the call comes, so that they know what to do and how to respond.

Do whatever you have to do to keep yourself safe. Things can be replaced. You . . . cannot be replaced.

Active alcoholics can be the most unpredictable people in the world. I would never count myself safe in the presence of my partner if he started drinking. I've seen what he can do under the influence. Things he would never even think of doing sober and sane.

And I know how that is. I am in recovery too, and I remember all the pain and havoc I caused my partner back then along with the utter chaos I would throw our lives and our home into. It's still very fresh in my mind the things I did, even after all these years. I will never be able to make up for the harm I caused while under the influence. It was like I was out of control. I could actually see myself doing it, but, couldn't stop myself from the action. It was a horrible nightmare.

So, take care of yourself. This is a hideous and horrible disease. I hate it.

Hugs.

Jon