Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
LifeIs

Originally Posted by Ainslie View Post
When I get frustrated about the fact that I choose not to drink, I read about addiction. I'm always finding new and interesting things to read, whether it be someones personal story of recovery, a uni students thesis, whatever.

I know the whole thing with recovery is to do whatever works for you and let others do the same, but man, id love to shove some books down peoples throats sometimes. It seems some people are so shutdown to new information, its like if you told them there was a massive oil leak in the gulf of mexico theyd deny that too. What frustrates me is that so many people seem to point to alcohol as being the problem, without realising its underlying behaviours that often need addressing. Like I obsessed over things waaaay before I started drinking - different foods, boys, videogames, marijuana, then alcohol. I want to learn why I behave this way and then hopefully modify my behaviour - that doesnt have to include drinking again - I just want to be able to think differently. Like reconditioning my brain! Not sit around with a bunch of people that have one addiction in common with me and chat - I can see the benefits of that kind of therapy, sure. But I know enough recovering addicts in the community that I can catch up with and laugh/cry about the old days.

Well I suppose there aint much of a point to this im just venting, I thought this'd be the best place to post. I feel like a minority round here because im dealing with my recovery without the 12 steps and it would be good to have some reassurance from people doing their recovery their own way too
Sorry Ainslie for having hijacked the thread a moment ago.... I was just so blown away by Murrill's post.

Anyway, please, you are not alone and allowed to vent any ole time you want. We are all on a road to recovery and not all of us are 12 steppers. Doesn't mean we are not going to make it, we will. We are working on the underlying problems that led us to alcohol (or any other addiction) as our crutch. In my case, the alcohol exacerbated the problems and it was just a downward spiral from there. It is good to have SR where we find others like us and many not like us, too. Good to hear and evaluate what everyone is going through, pick what fits us and is good for our recovery and keep moving forward. Doesn't matter what road you take, it is reaching the destination that counts.
Be strong!