Thread: Frustrated
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
LifeIs

Wtf?

Originally Posted by murrill View Post
I also had "problems" before I ever took my first drink. In fact, it was alcohol (at lest in the beginning) that made the problems less glaring. Frankly, I was relieved to learn that alcoholism was really a sumptoms of other issues: It marked the beginning of self-forgiveness. I discovered that once I took away the drink I was left with the part of me that was "sick," the part that needed to heal. But none of that was going to happen until I removed alcohol from the equation. I remember trying to bargain with myself while I was still drinking: I reasoned that if I could just get my life together then either of two things would occur:
1. I would spontaneously quit drinking, OR
2. I would still drink but I wouldn't be so out-of-control crazy when I did.
Of course, I couldn't get things together until I quit drinking, but oh! How I tried.
Today, several years sober, I read things about addictions that I think are pretty ridiculoous. But I don't take it personally anymore. It is more of an intellectual amusement. I know that people have to try whatever they find until something works. I cannot change that. The best I can do is share my own experience, strength, & hope.
Umm excuse me Murrill, when did you crawl inside my head and steal my thoughts! I couldn't have written a post that explained how I feel so explicitly. I guess cause I still only got 6 months and you have a couple of years? Wow, I am stunned. Am dealing with the "sick" part of me, it is getting better all the time and it would have NEVER happened if I hadn't quit drinking.

thanks Murrill for explaining it so well.