View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
pongo

Most important thing; do what works for your recovery. If you are relieved by not having to reveal your suspected alcoholism to dh, and it will strengthen your resolve for now, do that. I suspect by the very fact that you have posted this question again, are in angst about it and greatly appreciative of permission granted in this thread not to tell, that you eventually will have to.

Secrets of past relationships or things that happened prior to your marriage are very different from issues of health in the present tense. There is a loss of intimacy in your relationship, IMO, if you indefinitely keep your recovery from your husband. He likes to drink with you and expects some excess in drink when allowable. Will he be disappointed or at least curious about your change of ways? If it were my spouse I would want more of a discussion than, "For my health."

You are wracked with guilt about the layers of secretiveness and especially, (I think,) incidents that happened when you were alone with the children. That is serious, yes, I have known a number of alcoholics who obtained and sustained their sobriety due to the fear that someone, (a spouse,) would question their fitness to provide child care and/or in child custody matters. If you think there's any chance that your children witnessed you getting drunk, behaving drunk or being sick and could repeat or describe that to your dh, you should definitely consider telling him yourself. Eventually. Not now.

Do what you need to do now to stay sober.