View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Eight Ball

It sounds to me as if your feeling helpless and hopeless. Thats how I felt, living with an abusive alcoholic for 22 years, when you still love them but it finally sinks in that it doesnt matter what you do or say, they are not going to stop the drinking or abuse.

We are living in a fantasy land where we tell ourselves, if only there was no alcohol we would have a great marriage/life. But there is alcohol present and we cant do anything to stop the person from drinking and in fact contribute and prolong the alcoholic abusive relationship by staying.

You have been offered some great advice by those of us on SR, some who have been living in similar circumstances to yourself and know some of what you are going through. Hopefully given time, it will all sink in and you will finally get some strength needed to make the steps to a better life for you and your daughter which no doubt you deserve.

Please keep reading about alcoholism, read the stickies above -excuses alcoholics make and merry-go-round are my personal favorites, along with threads written by young adults who have lived the pain of being brought up in a toxic environment and you too will come to realise that this is a terrible disease that will only serve to drag you and your innocent daughter down with it.