Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AmericanGirl
April 18, 2010

Congratulations on all your progress so far, and yes, keep it up. It will get easier.

Originally Posted by LTrzczka
I almost slipped today. It was SO close. I decided to go, but then changed my mind. Well, actually, someone in my head wanted me to go and I agreed with them, but then I changed my mind and decided I didn't agree with them. And that's the truth. It would be a lie if I made it look like some grand form of willpower of mine. It was literally me simply concluding that now would not be a good time to go party with that voice.

Reading what I just wrote, I think I sound crazy. Crackers. In need of mental care. But I'm going to leave it as it is. I guess this is maybe some kind of diary for me. I'm going to work on day number eight tomorrow. All. Day. Long.
Actually, I think that sounds incredibly smart. I think we often oversimplify our brains, telling ourselves we should just think one thing, when really there are multiple competing forces going on in there. Ultimately, our actions are our choice -- our desires, not so much. I'm incredibly glad your sober voice won out. If your experience is anything like mine, the ugly little drinking monster will rear its head less often as you accumulate more time.

Originally Posted by LTrzczka
I feel like my body and brain are going through some sort of transformation. And I don't mean, "Oh yay! No booze! I'm so healthy now!" It's more like some days since I stopped are great but others (such as today, my 7th) I almost feel like I am intoxicated even though sober. I don't know if that's the alcohol purging from my system or what. Maybe I'm going through some kind of detox? I don't know.
Speak to a doctor if you are concerned, of course, about any health-related matters. I often felt very foggy-minded in the first few weeks, if that is what you mean?

Keep it up and yes, take it minute by minute or hour by hour until it feels safe to take it day by day.