Thread: a magic wand
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 11:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sandrawg

As Cats says, some alcoholics choose recovery, but they usually don't do it because of anything anyone says or does.

They do it if and when THEY feel ready. Usually they have to hit bottom to do so. Hitting bottom is different for everyone. Sometimes it requires losing their entire families. I have a friend, 6 yrs sober, who faithfully works his program, who said it wasn't until his wife left w/their 2 kids before he hit his bottom.

Some people need to lose even more than that. The key is, they need to feel the conseequences of their drinking.

Too often they have friends who enable them, who drink with them, who give approval to the destruction they are choosing.

Or family who give them money or shelter.

As long as the consequences of drinking are not worse than the consequences of getting sober, their addiction will win every time.

Meanwhile, everyone who loves them gets caught in this horrendous vortex of insanity. Do you really want to spend your valuable time hiding his car keys...pouring out his booze...trying to figure out when he's lying and when he's not? Do you know the old joke about how do you know when a lawyer is lying, his lips are moving? Substitute "lawyer" for the word "alcoholic."

Often our As become abusive. The more they drink, the more their behavior becomes violent and threatens OUR physical and emotional security.

I had to break up w my xabf because his last drunk resulted in a screaming tirade where he threw his car keys at me and squirted me w a squirt gun. Heaven forbid he had a real gun. I might be dead now.

Why on earth I chose to put up with that level of insanity for so long, is beyond me. I am so glad to be out of it. I'm now going to al-anon, which is helping me so much. Doing my own 12 steps. Focusing on my own recovery. Not trying to change anyone but myself. It's a much more peaceful place.