View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
postedonedge

I have suffered from depression myself. However for me the drinking slowly crept in as i started feeling better. Depression isnt something to fool around with. It's a constantly nagging, painful experience. The best way to deal with it is medication (if needed), therapy (absolutely necessary) and Sobriety (VERY crucial). I dealt with my depression sober, on medication (prozac), and going to therapy once a week. Constantly forcing myself to go outside (which i wouldnt, i would stay home and play video games to try to get my mind off of the sorrow) hang out with friends (i hadnt talked to my friends in 3 months) and thinking about my therapists words and trying to get out of the rut i called my life. I was diagnosed with OCD, Depression, and Anxiety. Best thing you can do is to get him sober. If hes already in therapy and taking medication thats fine. But the sober part is absolutely necessary. "How can I learn to live happy, if I've never been happy?" is the kinda mindset your trying to eliminate and with alcohol or drugs its impossible. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions. oh and grats on your 1 week sober, im 5 days and counting