Thread: I need help.
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
theuncertainty

Welcome to SR, fallingxx3.

I am so sorry that the best I can offer you is: she has to make the decision to not drink and start working on her recovery on her own. No amount of pleading, begging, factual or other discussion with her is likely to make her decide to change until she's ready to change.

My story is different in that I'm recovering from a relationship with STBXAH (soon to be ex alcoholic husband) who was emotionally abusive. So I'm not sure too many of my stories will translate to something that will help you.... But I do know that nothing I said to him about his drinking, about our relationship, our life, no threats that I'd leave him and take our young son with me, actually leaving him, nothing I've said or done has gotten him to start working on recovery. He'll have to reach his bottom (if he ever does) before he's ready to do that.

Please know though that you are in the right place. There are so many supportive shoulders here to lean on. Keep reading and posting. You might want to check out threads in the Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents for additional insights, but I think there is a lot of... cross-over (for lack of a better word) between the 2. Others will definitely be around soon to offer their support.

Hang in there. If you live at home and have some where else to go for a quiet, safe and turmoil-free night or weekend, definitely do so.