View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
a fallen man

10 months...woot.

i've missed posting on several month anniversaries but remembered this one.

10 months ago i was coming off a holiday weekend (sept. 8) and came to work in a 'toxic' state. i made it to work but i wasn't worth a crap. around 10 i told my boss...who is a drinker...i gotta go...i have to quit drinking. i gave him about a fifth of vodka i had in the trunk of my car. in the past when i tried to quit i just poured it out. he told me if i was gonna quit to give it to him.

i used this website to quit drinking. i thank everyone that gave me encouragement. to the loooong timers on this board that greet every newcomer....God has given you a gift and you use it daily. my initial posts were no different than anyone that gets on here today wanting to stop.

it was rough as hell at first. i was a 20 oz. of vodka per day drinker. no sleep for the first few days....raw stomach. but it got better every day.

as someone posted a few days ago.....i don't really have a 'eureka' moment. but i can't tell you the times i've been driving down the road with my windows down...listening to good music and thought to myself...'i am so happy that i don't drink anymore'.

life is just better. i have more money. i have not vomitted in 10 months. i used to every single morning...most times just water and bile since no need to eat when you're drinking.

after 3 months i had a full physical done with blood work. for a 50 year old man all the numbers came back stellar....even the liver numbers...the ones i was worried about. the day i quit my liver was 'hard' and had me scared.

the human body can do amazing things if we don't abuse it.

i've had no risk of dui for 10 months.
i'm a better husband and way better father.
my sons come to me for advice now.
i can give sound advice to them.

for the newcomers.....i ache for you....i know you want to quit or you never would have taken the step to google this place. trust me, as bad as you feel now, keep in mind that you can do it and before you know it you will be making a 10 month post. when i got here i looked up to neomarxist as a big brother...he had 2 months and i so wanted to just make it that far. i have and then some....and i'm still chasing him and hope i never catch him.

love always,

david.