Notices

10 months...woot.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 months...woot.

i've missed posting on several month anniversaries but remembered this one.

10 months ago i was coming off a holiday weekend (sept. 8) and came to work in a 'toxic' state. i made it to work but i wasn't worth a crap. around 10 i told my boss...who is a drinker...i gotta go...i have to quit drinking. i gave him about a fifth of vodka i had in the trunk of my car. in the past when i tried to quit i just poured it out. he told me if i was gonna quit to give it to him.

i used this website to quit drinking. i thank everyone that gave me encouragement. to the loooong timers on this board that greet every newcomer....God has given you a gift and you use it daily. my initial posts were no different than anyone that gets on here today wanting to stop.

it was rough as hell at first. i was a 20 oz. of vodka per day drinker. no sleep for the first few days....raw stomach. but it got better every day.

as someone posted a few days ago.....i don't really have a 'eureka' moment. but i can't tell you the times i've been driving down the road with my windows down...listening to good music and thought to myself...'i am so happy that i don't drink anymore'.

life is just better. i have more money. i have not vomitted in 10 months. i used to every single morning...most times just water and bile since no need to eat when you're drinking.

after 3 months i had a full physical done with blood work. for a 50 year old man all the numbers came back stellar....even the liver numbers...the ones i was worried about. the day i quit my liver was 'hard' and had me scared.

the human body can do amazing things if we don't abuse it.

i've had no risk of dui for 10 months.
i'm a better husband and way better father.
my sons come to me for advice now.
i can give sound advice to them.

for the newcomers.....i ache for you....i know you want to quit or you never would have taken the step to google this place. trust me, as bad as you feel now, keep in mind that you can do it and before you know it you will be making a 10 month post. when i got here i looked up to neomarxist as a big brother...he had 2 months and i so wanted to just make it that far. i have and then some....and i'm still chasing him and hope i never catch him.

love always,

david.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post to the testament of sobriety. Congratulations to you. I am almost 8 months sober now and can relate to everything you just said. Life is better than I ever thought possible. Congratulations again, and thanks for sharing.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really hope you are right. I am today at day 21 or 3 weeks. I start feeling normal, but I know I have a long way to go. I hpe I can do it. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love to read posts like yours! You inspire me and yes, I too will just sometimes stop what I'm doing and thank God for being sober. What a difference it makes. Invites happiness in and shuts the door on risk and bad things happening. What a joy to live sober. I'm not far behind you and hope I never catch you either.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much...must have needed you today!

Among other things....I loved it when you said sometimes you're just driving down the street and you are happy you are sober. So simple, yet so gratifying. I do the same thing.

A huge congratulations on your sober 10 months.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations, David!

What an amazing, heartfelt post, especially your sentiments for those who are just beginning to take their lives back.

No matter how much time I acquire, I'll always consider myself a newcomer as long as I continue to live each day just for today and never stop learning and being grateful that time is a gift, not a threat (as it sometimes appears in very early sobriety).

I remember your first post when you described why you chose your avatar and have been following your inspiration and gratitude all along. It's been wonderful walking this path with you.

Forward we go, side-by-side (no chasing. lol)

Again, congratulations on 10 months! I'm so happy for you!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Excellent Post Fallen Man, Congrats on 10 months And thanks for sharing your progress. Stay Strong my friend!!!

Road
Old 07-08-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice one on 10 months sober man!!!

Thank You so much for your kind words. It really helps me to know that I inpsired you to keep on keepin on! Thanks again mate.

It's been great sharing this sobriety journey with you.

Peace
Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats

D