View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Bucyn

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
At that point, I realized that the collection of men who were responding to my post on Match.com was a reflection of my current state of mind (though I read and re-read my post and didn't see anything unhealthy about it--damn that magical thinking). They were just responding to the message I sent into cyperspace. That experience made me realize that I was in no way ready or emotionally healthy enough to even begin dating.
I don't know if it's that metaphysical. I think at least half the people on Match.com are people looking to use others. Married men, addicts, golddiggers, 'playas' who think they've hit the sex jackpot, general losers in life, and men who don't mesh well with women. Those hunting, camping, sports guys don't find a lot of women who like the same. Yes, there are some women who like roughing it, etc... but not many. They might be nice guys but have trouble leaving the 'guy' culture to interact with women.

I myself have NO interest in sports or hunting/camping/hiking/fishing/roughing it. However, I don't care if you watch a lot of sports or go camping with your buddies. I love the thought of spending a day on a boat reading while you fish, and I'll accompany you to a resort where you spend the day hiking or hunting, while I amuse myself. I had too much roughing it in the Army and just don't get what's fun about it.

There are women who are the same, who can spend days shopping for clothes and fussing over their cats and gossiping. Not many men relate to that. However, flexible tolerance and other mutual interests can overcome that.

One thing I noticed was how many men made a big deal about how much they worked out or went to the gym. And their pictures would show a man with the typical middle age spread--clearly someone who wasn't working out a lot. Not a problem because middle aged people have middle aged bodies. Just funny so many make a point of working out.

IMO, a large portion of the people on their just are not healthy relationship material, and a good minority are predators. However, I know a surprising number of people who have made happy, enduring marriages from Match, so who's to say.

I don't know if you aren't healthy enough to date yet, or just not ready, you would know best about that. But it seems very healthy to me that you had the ability to say no, walk away, and not give the benefit of doubt. You can pat yourself on the back most heartily for that.