View Single Post
Old 07-24-2002, 08:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wacko
Paused

One Clown's Story (or, Some Words Kill)

"I have a son who is a,...(sigh)...a... a Frown addict.

He never smiles, or jokes, and Monty Python simply confuses him. Now he's in trouble with the Drama Dept., and I don't know if I should pay for the Mirthless Classes he's been turned over to. I have to slave all day trying to make some crying kid smile with those weird long ballons, I mean, I feel like he should be responsible for his own smiles, and Mrs. Wacko & I, I mean, forget it, we are shamed and mortified to go out, what with the whole circus talking about it. Am I enabling his morose lifestyle by still trying to help; I mean, I am at my wits end with that boy, ...etc etc...."

But then, I remembered that hey, for better or for worse, I am this child's parent!! BONG!! Even when said kid is f*#king up bigtime. I can't fix him myself, but I can be there telling him he's good enough and important enough to me to assist him to come around. I have the choice to help, with all the accompanying crap that entails, or not to. But either way, even in a venting-type situation, I will look out for him and circle the wagons a little.
I certainly don't ever want my humorless child to see a letter on the net where I call him out and label him publically with a very heavy epithet (even if it's technically accurate at the time). I 'd say my son is in trouble, and he's getting high and all the rest. There's no need to share the details of his pain here. It might just be the final nail in a nightmare of confusion, and he might just believe that he's not worth coming back.

Drugs, drink, money, whorin, gambling, violence, politics, (HA), et al, they're all like different places that people turn to when they are running from holes in themselves, and we all have them in all kinds. It's part of Life, you must learn that it's your job alone to do this. But they aren't fixing, it's easier to run from it. They begin to get addicted to the easy way, to not giving the effort. It becomes easier to not fight for those things, and at first, the drugs are simply one part of the escape. Yes, in the end the drugs become physically enslaving addictive killers, but at the outset, it's the kids. They've quit trying to fix their holes, for some reason. Ask. Ask again. But when they're lost, tell them you'd like them around when they will fight for themselves as hard as you have. Only they can make that choice.

???? Maybe????
Wacko