View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 09:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
StLSMD
Grab the wheel!

I'd have never had the courage at your age.

Hey man,

Way to go! If you can be that self aware with so much ahead of you, I'm betting heavy you'll do the right things. How did you find the site? For me, and others I've read about, it took a hard fall to wake up and seek help. I'm struggling with it big time - that's a longer story, here's the short progression. I used to find it odd to drink M-W, would the ocassional TH, usually Fri and Sat, and under no circumstance on Sunday, until maybe 3 or 4 years ago. My career had me on the road, hotels and airports. Not the best scenario for me, expense account, wife and kids at home, no bosses around. I started calling in sick the days after the flight home, would start drinking after the sales call, sometimes 6-7 hours of manhattans, it felt great at the time. Weekends became trecherous, party Friday night, Saturday night, then Sunday morning bloody became a loooong day of drinking the hangover away. Mondays were terrible. First came a DUI (.204 BAC), lost a couple business deals, became expendable, 7 mos with no paycheck. Here I sit at 39, 1 yr into a new career, investments drained (7 mos no check), trying to understand why this is so damn hard, what the hell else do I need to F up before I go to a meeting? Don't underestimate how bad it will get, and how easy it is to rationalize your behavior. I wish you strength, peace, and success, but if you have any doubt there's a problem with booze at 23, please do something about it. I only wish I had then, and really hope I can now. Take advantage of what you already know!