View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chops

Great post...

I also sit at times in disbelief that I am sober and that led me to the complete belief that I in no way do it on my own.

Lol, I am quiet and reserved around strangers but compund that with the fact I just don't like people. And I have success with AA. For me it took going to meetings no matter how I felt and consistently, no matter what really means no matter what. I made that pledge to myself and went in any and all conditions, both physically speaking and also mentally speaking. Scared, anxious, angry, in the cold, heat, snow, rain etc. Consistently meant everyday. 2 years sober it is not everyday anymore but only because I am overseas with limited AA access.

This led me to a meeting routine, a routine of chatting and then actually talking to people. I have a big wall around me and most times a demeanor that says "stay the hell away", nevertheless the wall slowly crumbled. It was tough and ugly at times. But I started at "Hi" and moved on to "how are you" and went from there. I am the person in the book that is "sometimes slowly" and that is okay.

Joined a home group and got active and that led me from quiet and reserved to a vocal (not always a good thing) member of the meeting. Hell, I even made friends which was not my intention going into AA.

Thats what happened to me. That is just my experience and what worked for this drunk. But I will say this, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being quiet and staying quiet in AA. I support a members right to not talk as much I support a members right to talk. Please don't let anyone try to push you around.

Congrats on the sober time, good stuff.