View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 05:57 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

For most of my life, I compared myself to others. And I would alternately feel either superior or inferior. I went to my 20 year high school reunion and I remember thinking how I must be better than most of them because I was still married to my first husband, while most of them were on their second or third. Well, obviously, that didn't turn out too well, lol. This year will be my 30 year, and I am planning on going.

But, this time, I have some perspective. The older I get, and the more recovery I get under my belt, the less I compare myself to others. I'm starting to realize that we're all just humans with varying levels of dysfunction, trying our best to get through this crazy thing called life. Heck, even the so-called "experts" at oil wells can't figure out how to stop their own mistake from spewing pollution all over the place. The so-called "experts" at finance never saw an economic melt-down coming. In light of those things, I'm not doing so bad at figuring my stuff out.

I expect the reunion to be attended by a bunch of nearly-50-year-olds just like me, still trying to figure stuff out after all these years.

L