Thread: newly sober
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
endlesspatience

Hey Wikid. Welcome and congratulations on finding the courage to post here. It's great news that you're planning to go to a meeting. I am sure that the face-to-face support will be a wonderful tool you can use to seek recovery. You say you've overcome your problems with some "hard" drugs already and that suggests that you are a strong and courageous person.

Personally speaking, I quit marijuana two years ago although I did smoke a few joints last August during a brief relapse and my alcohol problem was severe until I joined AA six months ago. Anyway, here are three reasons why I am glad I quit marijuana.

1) There is no risk of being arrested, taken to a police station, going to court, being fined and losing my job for using illegal drugs.

2) The paranoia and irritability caused by the drug has gone.

3) My moods are more stable and I do not swing from being high to having a really unpleasant low afterwards. This has led to a huge improvement in my relationships with my friends and family and has improved my reliability at work.

I hope that soon you will find these things become real for you and you will achieve peace of mind as a result.

"Just for today, I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime."