View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
eleanor

A lot of us here are in the same boat you are, Buckley. I'm on day 6 and I can tell you that feels like a HUGE accomplishment here.

Like you, wine was my vice. I would drink a bottle a night. I never had cravings until the evening-time rolled around. Now I don't know what to do with myself at night, so I find I'm spending a lot of time on this message board.

Also like you, I feel like my friendships may suffer. I told some friends I am 'cutting back' on drinking (no one has ANY clue that I drink alone, they just think I drink a lot with them when we go out) but I fear going to bars. Hell, even to a friend's place. We almost always would have a drink or two at a friend's place when visiting.

Anyway - you're NOT alone. I haven't been to an AA meeting yet either b/c I'm terrified. I'm "white knuckling" it which, according to the old-timers around here, isn't the best strategy. It's just that the idea of going to AA makes me a nervous wreck! Plus, I'm really not a Christian/God person (more spiritual than religious) so I feel like I might struggle with that element of it.

I see myself in your post, completely. I think we can all relate to each other one one level (or more). Hang in there. One day at a time, as they say.