View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

I think society promotes the "rescue fantasy" way of thinking. The "you complete me" hogwash. It gets very easy to say "if only I had X," I would be okay. (X can be money, that new car, big house, or a particular partner)

The problem with that way of thinking is, as has been said, you either don't get it and feel cheated, or you do get it, and feel unfulfilled.

Advertising agencies and corporations prosper because people buy in to the culture of "having something will make me happy." But, it never works. The US has more prosperity than any other county, yet the percentage of people who say they are happy is at an all-time low.

The only way to lasting happiness is to be whole. To become confident and comfortable in your own skin. To trust yourself and believe that no matter what life throws at you, you will handle it. To do the inner work to develop the gifts you were born with and express them. There is no person (or thing) that can do that for you. The more you look for someone to fulfill you, the more empty you will feel. Because if someone can give you whatever you need, they can also take it away. That's a tough lesson to learn.

L