Old 06-20-2010, 04:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Ronan

Originally Posted by soberandloving View Post
Just finished reading A New Pair of Glasses by Chuck C, he says non alcholics never even ask themselves could maybe they be one. The moment that thought comes into our head we have a problem. The next step is the hardest and that is admitting we have a problem. As has been said when we admit the problem we then have to do something about it which means not drinking and that is a scary thought for any alcoholic. I have now been sober for over 13 months, just joined this site today and I am here only because of One Day at a Time.
This is it really. The point of the first post is to give a newcomer the point of view of someone else so they can relate their problems to something.

I'm of the view that if you're doing an "am I an alcoholic" test or posting in a forum like this asking "Am I an alcoholic?" that you pretty much are, because it means that alcohol has obviously become a problem in your life and you don't want to give it up.

My stages of alcoholism went from "I just drink too much" to "I have a bit of a problem and I need to cut back" to "I have a major problem and I most definitely need to try my hardest to control myself" to "I'm an alcoholic and I simply can't drink". Of course I was always an alcoholic looking back, but to say it's as easy as just throwing away all generalizations is wrong in my opinion, because that only came to us at the end when we fully accepted our problem and we're forgetting the journey we took to get to that stage.