View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
hendershot

Welcome. I got alot out of your post. Without knowing anything about your relationship with your boyfriend, how long you have been together etc., I'd suggest you stick with it. I know that when I had my first 4 days of sobriety, I felt like a new person. But I wasn't. 4 days is way too early to re-evaluate relationships with people you love. You have absolutely no way of knowing how you feel being sober in a few weeks, months, or years. And that's ok. You are right where you need to be for today. In AA they say no important decisions for the first year for this reason. Some people sober up and decide that a relationship that worked while using no longer works sober. Others stay together and their relationship grows stronger. You can't know which it will be yet. Focus on your recovery and things will work themselves out.
My only practical advice would be to suggest to him that if he really wants to support you that he should go to al-anon. (or sometimes outpatient things have family-oriented groups). That can be a tough sell. But I have seen it work miracles.