Old 06-17-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
gingercharlie

Originally Posted by wanting View Post
I think I was almost like two separate people before and after he left me. Before he left, I was unhappy, but not obsessed with his drinking. I didn't realize that my happiness was in my own hands and I could have accepted that he is who he is and moved on. And he loved me, adored me, said all of the things that I wanted to hear at the time. It kept me hooked, because I was fulfilled from the outside in.
Woah boy. I feel like I could have written that...

So when he left, I was no longer loved, adored, etc., and I turned into a person obsessed with getting some control of the situation. I had a good six months of analyzing his childhood and his family and every single thing he ever said. I googled my heart out about alcoholism and various mental diagnoses that I thought fit the bill. Anything to deny that he left me.
Oh boy, that too...

But you know, the most freeing day of my life was when I allowed the thought to enter my mind: Maybe he left me because he just doesn't love me, maybe I'm unlovable (not that this is necessarily true, but being able to even think about it was huge). That was the day when I was finally able to stop looking at was he was doing and start looking at myself. What did *I* think about me? What things did *I* truly want to change? (For example, XH basically told me he left me because I wasn't "fun and spontaneous." I was able to look at that and decide that I was fun, maybe not spontaneous, but that I was fun enough for someone who was the sole breadwinner and mother to two young children. I did make it a goal to have more fun though.) What things *could* I change? (For example, XH used to get down on me for not cleaning well enough. I always hated myself for that, but I was finally able to accept that I'm not a neat freak, never will be, and that's OK.) What things did I *like* about myself? That's when talk in therapy changed from being all about him to being all about me.
That's gonna be REALLY hard, but I do know there are things about me that *I* truly want to change... coincidentally, they are things he probably didn't like about me that much. My fitness level (or lack thereof), my "fun" level, etc.

Holy cow... I think we're really on to something here!

I've got some serious work to do...