View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
artsoul
SR Fan

I don't have any real answers, but I can relate to your post. I've found that I'm more impatient (yes, with family, too) these days, and think it's pretty normal. While drinking, I didn't have much energy to get worked up about things, and if I did start to get angry, depressed, irritated (or have any one of a hundred other emotions), I would just drink more.

When we get sober, all the emotions start coming to the surface again and it makes us uncomfortable. Learning how to deal with our feelings is going to take time, and so I think we have to give ourselves a break. We need to give others a break, too, because chances are it's as much us as it is them.

The fact that your husband was drinking just added to it, I'm sure.

Something that helps me alot (besides all the sobriety tools we learn at SR and in AA) is that if you can just feel the feelings and not act on them, they'll begin to subside. Try not to let them grow any bigger by dwelling on them. Also, a good night's sleep helps, so see if you don't feel better in the morning.

I know it's got to be hard not to have him to lean on right now, but you do have us!