Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Pinkcuda View Post
It took me about 2 years to figure out how to get through the day without a drink.
After 25 years of being drunk every day and functioning through it the trick was to be sober every day and function through it.

The biggest obstacle was I wanted things to be fixed "Right Now"
I wanted the wreckage of my past to be fixed "Right Now"
I wanted all the promises to come true "Right Now"
I wanted the respect of my piers and family to occur "Right Now"

Aint it Grand? The wind stopped blowing.

Excellent, excellent post.

I'm in for a year and I'm still learning and adapting. It's not easy...and I have to wonder if people get disillusioned reading all of the positive posts about sobriety.

Of course there are great things about sobriety. I could fire off a rather long list, but I think it helps to talk about the bad stuff.

Not only do you have to deal with all of the past stuff when you get sober, but life keeps happening. I lost an uncle this past Wednesday...no one was expecting it. I'm getting through it by sticking close to my family and keeping in touch here at SR.

Keep your head up, kae. My experience has been that if I'm feeling like crap and struggling I'm doing it right. Strange as that may seem, this means that I'm learning to cope. It has to hurt if it's to heal (bonus points if someone knows what that quote's from...and no cheating with Google! ).