View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
pongo

Lifeblows, here are some thoughts I had in no particular order in response to your post. For one thing, you are right. Life is damn hard sometimes, or most of the time, or all of the time, and we make it through by guts and grit. I am a very stubborn person. I think that helped me quit drinking. I was determined to prove myself stronger than alcohol.

Alcohol is a lie of the mind. (Remember the phrase demon alcohol?) It does NOT make you sexy, smart, creative, happy, pretty, relaxed, social, or capable.

Early in recovery I was angry, bitter and resentful at not being allowed to drink. The unfairness of that situation seemed eternally cruel to me. I was throwing myself a big pity party. The pitiful thing is that if you are honest with yourself you have to admit that a lifetime of not drinking is a lot better than, say, a lifetime of ill health due to drinking, a lifetime of run-ins with the law or a lifetime of hiding.

I made a vow to myself that during the first few months of recovery if I wanted to drink I would DO ANYTHING not to succumb. Take a shower, go for a walk, go shopping at the mall, call a friend, clean, veg out in front of the t.v., bake cookies, smoke a cigar, take a nap, cry, whine and make an ass of myself. All of those things and lots of others worked. Don't give up. One second at a time.

Those low grade cravings may seem minor enough, but they are hanging out there looking for your Achille's heel. Firm up your resolve. Make your second thought of the day be, "Thank you, God, for the opportunity of another day to stay sober."