View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
keithj

Originally Posted by ChargersFan View Post
Any other tips/advice/encouragement/words of warning (or anything at all) greatly appreciated!
Well, whether you are interested in AA or not, here are a couple of truths I've learned from that program that I owe my life to. And I learned all of it by comparing my own experience against the experience contained in AA's Big Book.

That 'can't stop once I start' thing is the one symptom common to all alcoholics, and never occurs in the normal drinker. AA describes it as a manifestation of a physical allergy to alcohol. If you have this one symptom, you're probably alcoholic, regardless of whether or not you crack open the breakfast vodka.

The condition of alcoholism is progressive. If you are alcoholic, there is very little chance of ever being able to drink with any control. The alcoholic's drinking almost always gets worse over time, never better, despite some short term ups and downs in consumption level. There is no known remedy for this inconvenient truth.

I'll save the hopeless nature stuff for later as you don't sound like you are there yet.