View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
gratefulgirl09

I loved the book "Dry"! My sponsor recomended it to me, and I couldn't put it down. I can't really relate to the hoarding of bottles...I would buy one jug of wine at a time, get another when the other one was getting low, and made sure I threw away the empty jug as soon as it was empty. I rationalized that I wasn't an alcoholic because I only had one "bottle" in the house. Mind you, the jugs I bought contained 4 liters of wine, which is probably meant to be shared, but I would never share my wine! Ah, the things we tell ourselves when we are active in this disease...it truly is insanity
My favorite part of the book is the fact that he relapses. He kept telling everyone that he was fine, that he would never drink again, and he believed that. And yet, he did drink. That scares me because I sometimes get in the mindset that I am over my desire to drink, and that I will never drink again. I need to remember to take it one day at a time, and remember that alcohol is cunning, baffling, powerful. If I don't stay on top of my disease, it will get me.