View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
AtlasMcGee

I remember as a kid always being fascinated by alcoholic drinks. For example, I would always look at the specialty drink menu at restaurants, get virgin drinks, & wanted a blender at the house so I could make virgin pina coladas & margaritas. I actually remember my brother saying "you're gonna be an alcoholic", when I was looking at such a menu & talking about how good a particular drink looked. I remember hearing at a young age that alcoholism ran on both sides of my family, but I never learned about it 'til later.

I had my first drink when I was around the age of 9, I didn't like it because I thought it was suppose to be sweeter (red wine). Ironically enough, red wine became the drink I would favor the most in my later stages of drinking. I didn't begin drinking on a regular basis 'til I was 16 & it was at a party. Thought it was sprite, couldn't even taste the difference really. Then kept drinking more & more, liquor mainly, binge style--mainly mixed drinks & shooting tequila--'til I got so sick off tequila too many times & refused to drink it for about 2 years.

I began college right after my 18th birthday & continued to drink a whole bunch. Definitely on a daily basis. Started drinking a lot of beer too. I mainly stuck with beer & liked vodka & mountain dew for a while. Started really getting into the wine stage at the age of 20 and mainly stuck to wine & beer & meddled in a bit of other substances during this phase too. When I finally became of age I just drank a whole lotta beer & enjoyed crown & sprite. During the last phase leading to sobriety at the age of 23, I acquired a taste for bourbon & scotch, became my drink of choice (aside from beer) on the rocks, with a 'lil water at first, but quickly ice was enough because it would melt slightly.

I guess I was a destined drinker. Who knows? All I do know, is that I didn't want to continue going the way I was. Seemed that I would only meet a bleak future if I did. I reckon during the various phases I just felt more at ease with my self in social situations if I were drinking, plus it was definitely the norm, but all and all it was just something I did, a part of my identity. I wasn't raised in an abusive family, neither one of my parents drank around me until later in life & not much.

thanks for the thread, I've only briefly gone through all this in my head. Helps to remind me of why I made this decision in the first place.