View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

In AA's BB in 'The Doctor's Opinion' it says that men and women drink essentially because they like the effect caused by alcohol.....and yes, I agree with this, but.........

I'm with Snarf and DayTrader. I never needed to find the deep, underlying cause as to WHY I touched the hot stove and burned my hand; I just needed to realize that as long as I didn't touch the hot stove, I, more than likely, wouldn't burn my hand.....

.....and as for reasons....? ......the becauses......? ......the triggers (gotta love all them new euphamisms, eh).....? Nah, not for me; no excuses needed for my drinking; I was an (active) alcoholic, and that's what alcoholic's do; they drink; not an excuse; just a fact.

Ya know....it's funny, but I've known a number of folks who 'drank over issues' 'drank while going through some stuff in their lives' etc., etc., etc., ......from the outside, all would say that they were alcoholics.....but, when all was said and done, when these folks got help....: therapists, counselors (both secular and spiritual); when they worked on their issues; dealt with them; walked through whatever was going on in their lives; when they reached the other side, well, the alcohol problem was gone (with the issues, I guess, I dunno); they were not, nor were they ever alcoholics, and today folks would call them normal, non-alcoholic drinkers (who drink on occasions, and usually rare ones at that).

On reading this over, I realize that it sounds like Im saying that if person has a reason for their drinking, or they say they do, then I might be saying that person probably isn't an alcoholic.....this is definitely NOT what I'm saying; just what I've observed through my experience on this recovery journey.

(o:
NoelleR