Thread: Kidding myself
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 05:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
intention
Don't resist, allow

Originally Posted by linjacjen View Post
Alcohol is a depresssant, not a stimulant.

This is usually one of the determining factors between the alcoholic and the normal drinker.

The normal drinker tends to feel relaxed after drinking, they use it to wind down and chill out.

The alcoholic takes a drink and they are ready to go. They crave more drink and the more they drink, the more energy they get, the more lively they get.

Like Dream, I used to use alcohol to give me the energy to cope with my young son. Of course, in the long term it caused far more problems than it solved.

Dream - your alcohol addicted brain is craving for it right now and is trying to get you to feed it. Physical cravings will pass in time as you abstain from drinking but the alcoholic also suffers from a mental obsession to drink which continues and can get an alcoholic back to drinking months, even years after a last drink.

The only solution I found to that was to have the mental obsession to drink removed. That's when being sober is easy. Working AA's 12 Steps, gets you a spiritual awakening and removes the obsession to drink.

While you are working your way towards that I suggest plenty of contact with the people you meet in AA - face to face and on the phone as well.