Thread: Abusive cycle
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Jadmack25

I am sometimes maybe a bit harsh in the words I use to get a message that I believe is important, over to someone. Where children are present when abuse is flying round, even if not physical towards them....my blood starts pumping hard.

I was 21, had recovered from a miscarriage (3 months) and was standing beside a young mum with a baby peacefully asleep on her shoulder, a lovely picture which gave me both pleasure and pain. Next thing I see is a man in front of us, his fist heading for the mum's face, and then the babies head bouncing off my shoulder.

It is 45 years since that day and is still as clear as if it were 5 minutes ago. I still feel the shock and the fear, and it still makes me nauseous.

The man stood, swaying and looking bewildered, muttering "didn't mean him, it was for you". He was held by a couple of men, and dragged away from sight, thank God.

Meanwhile I stood as if frozen, unable to move. The young mum, held her baby to her as others came to help, one a lady doctor who asked if she could check the child was ok.
Dear Lord, the minute the child was moved it was obvious he was dead, and from a broken neck. His mum began screaming, others were crying and altogether it was chaos.

Police arrived, and that was another stage in a nightmare, their questions, making statements, preparing for a court case etc.
It wasn't contested, I didn't have to attend and man served time in jail.

It is because of this event, that I posted about the children in this thread, being in harm's way even tho they have never been hurt up to now. I have seen the results of "accidental" abuse on other occassions, but the above time is personal to me as I was there and saw it myself.
Now I think I will go and have the crying session I have put off for the past hour.

God bless