Old 05-28-2010, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Tatertot

Thank you both! I know I am quite hesitant to pursue this for all sorts of reasons...and in my mind I really do plan on "taking it slow"... the only ahem... *problem*... is that I find I am almost uncontrollably attracted to him! (But definitely thus far have been able to be very controlled, I have always been able to be in control of my desires).

I think I will have a "heart to heart" with him when I see him next. I think I should voice my concerns and see what he says. And yes he is very open to talking about his past, I sometimes don't want to bring it up because I don't want him to think about painful times when he should be focusing on a brighter future. But he speaks alot at both the Recovery facility and at AA meetings about "his story" and he is an inspiration to many others.

Also I have not given him my phone number, partly because I'm not entirely sure I want to go down this path yet, and also I have had a VERY bad experience with a stalker in the past.... so I am very careful who I give my phone number too these days... BUT I also think it's partly so that he doesn't have an excuse not to focus on himself. I don't want to be the center of his waking universe and have him call me all the time... I know he still needs to focus on himself. Yes one year is a good milestone, but when he's been an addict for the past 20+ years of his life... I think it will take more time than that to be in total control of oneself... but again I don't know.

While I am open to giving this "relationship" a chance, I think it is definitely good advice to go ever so slowly. I am in completely unfamiliar territory here... baby steps might be best...

Also I am very open and interested in anyone who might have been through something similar...