View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by UniqueNewYork View Post

I have someone in AA who I am driving to meetings and to run errands a few times a week. This person is needy, pushy and self centered with about a month sobriety. They do not have a license or car.

I do not have a lot in common with this person, but being that we are both in AA I could spend time with this person a couple days a week and it not be a big deal. This person calls every day expecting a ride and to hang out. While we get along, there are not really a lot of sparks, and at no point do I feel the friendship that "he is calling me because he really enjoys my company". He is calling because he hates sitting at home , wants to go somewhere, etc. We have some mutual friends in AA. When he doesn't get his way he deals with it by being whiny, laying a guilt trip out, or likely gossiping with another AAer (haven't caught him doing this on me but he does whine about other people in the program to me that don't wipe his chin). I have trouble finding things about this person that I RESPECT. There are many reasons for this but one of the top ones is he refuses to ride his bike or take a bus. I was without my license for over a year and took the bus or rode a bike many times.
I'm betting you have been but make sure you're praying/meditating for some direction. Remember, that selfishness and self-centeredness applies to us as well so I've GOT to take stuff like this to prayer and meditation all the time. I hear a lot of "well, we're not doormats" as an excuse for the person saying it to exercise their own selfishness. Usually, my biggest "issue" when I take something like that to God is that I don't hear the answer I want to hear. Usually what I get back is the harder or less convenient answer. While I believe it's our duty to help, it's a disservice to cosign someone's BS as well. For problems that could easily teeter either way, 'ol HP is really the best source of guidance.