View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovery1983

Welcome Amy, I too was in desperation and pain 86 days ago. Like everyone else has said, please see another doctor. A doctor usually will evaluate you and give you some withdrawal medication to ease the withdrawal symptoms. I didnt see a doctor but I wish I did because I experienced the horrible withdrawal symptoms for 3-8 days. The worst was that I couldnt sleep and I constantly kept getting night sweats. One of the worst nights was when I changed clothes 5 times in a span of 6 hours. I would sleep for an hour and wake up with chills and drenched with sweat. It was not fun. Plus, not being able to sleep and just sitting there waiting for time to go by was awful. All I did was just think about how miserable I was and what a screw up I was. It literally felt like each day lasted 48 hours.

I'm glad that you have come to the conclusion that this is not the way you want to or deserve to live your life. You are not alone. Everyone on this website is also dealing with these types of diseases. So it sounds like you need that extra push to start a plan.
1. Go see a doctor and tell him the truth about your drinking and how much you have been drinking. (this is very important) First, it lets your doctor know of your conditions and then he can properly treat you. Second, it will feel great to acknowledge to another person that you are suffering from this disease. On another note, there is patient/doctor confidentiality agreement so you can rest assure that he wont be saying anything. Plus, i'm sure he deals with it all the time.

2.While you are withdrawing from the alcohol, stay on this website and just read the stories and posts. This is what I did during my first week. It will help pass time and it will encourage you because others are in the same boat as you.

3. As you are feeling better, you should probably look into a recovery program. There are many out there and I think you can do a search on this website and it will give you many options. I am in the AA program and for me, it works, however, like I said, there are many out there.

4. Be proactive in whichever program you decide to go with and be proactive with the forum. People have told me that getting sober is easy but staying sober is the difficult part. For me, I have to stay proactive or I start to wander off and my alcoholic mind starts to take over. In my 86 days, it has happened many times already. Luckily, i'll catch myself before something bad happens.

5. By the way, add "do not drink" to each of these steps.