Thread: Step 2
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hope4Recovery

Originally Posted by Music View Post
I've read step two many times, and I've never seen the word "God". If memory serves, it says "higher power." Look in the mirror, think about your life and how things are going, and if you can't imagine something out there more powerful than what you're looking at, maybe the 12 steps aren't for you. The steps are numbered for a reason. Work them in order and quit reading things into them that isn't there.
I'm am here to learn, not argue. If you re-read my original post, it clearly states that there are many things that are "more powerful" than me or anyone of us. This really isn't the point for me. I believe many people would agree that "the higher power" refers to some type of spiritual force greater than humanity (aka God). I am not an expert on AA, the 12 Steps , or really anything else. I'm just trying to find my way and continue on the path of sobriety. AA has worked for many people. I work in mental health/D&A - I recommend AA and the 12 steps to clients everyday because the research shows that it works.

I'm trying to find what will work for me. Having "faith" in things that i do not truly believe isn't something I can force. Maybe you are right that AA isn't for me, but then again, maybe you are wrong. I was under the assumption that the only qualification for membership is a desire to stop drinking. I do have this desire, but if people attending AA are going to reject my struggle to work through these steps, I'd just as soon explore other options. The all or nothing approach is good way to scare people off in my opinion. There are plenty of people out there that believe in God who continue drinking and drugging without a desire to stop. I do have this desire and acknowledge that I have been powerless over my drinking for quite some time. So, I'm doing the best I can for now.