View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 03:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
NEOMARXIST

Yes I was/am fortunate in that I had parents who stuck by me during my active alcoholism. They never gave up on me, partly because I think they knew if they had of kicked me out then I would be dead now. But I was getting to the stage where they were despairing. I was also despairing too. I wouldn't have lasted long I don't think. It would have been either suicide, OD, prison, Mental institute or homeless.

I lost my driving license, dropped out of University, Lost my job, was unemployed for a long, long time, suffered terribly with depression, blacked-out 100's of times in their presence (in the early days I used to get smashed with my dad but that kind-of ended as I became more of an alkie and drug-user) was under the influence of drugs 100's times. Got caught snorting lines etc. I didn't really care to be honest.

They are proud of me now though. I make my ammends each day that I am sober and clean and doing my best on lifes terms 'one day at a time'.

Basically I had to totally admit that I'm an alcoholic and realise that I must not take that first drink 'just for today'. Without doing that then I couldn't recover.

Peace Out