View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Saint Francis

3 Choices - Florida

I could use some advice on which of the 3 options I should take with my AH. His drinking is at his worst right now. 3 options: 1. Baker Act - IFFF he is a danger to himself or others, they can evaluate him for up to 72 hours. The police would decide and it could happen immediately. 2. Marchman Act - with 2 other witnesses, the court could determine that he must go into a treatment facility but it could take up to 10 days. 3. Do nothing, detach, "Let go and let God," hope he hits his bottom, don't interfere.

I truly can't decide. He's been at work for 3 days drunk. Our employees (at least 6) have seen the beer cans and had to walk over him to get to their supplies. He attempts to answer the phone, but he's incoherent. He pees and soils his pants (and it's obvious). He can't walk well but manages the 1/2 block to the store to get more beer when he starts coming down from the buzz. His family is involved but they are far away and also can't convince him to get help. He calls them in attempts to blame me for all his problems, but they try to get him to get help.

Part of me just wants to detach and practice non-interference. But I'm not sure if this is best when he so desperately needs help before he hurts himself. He has before, broken each leg on separate occasions, busted open his head, etc. Also, I don't know if I can just wait while he destroys our business. I can't get him out of here.

Please help.