View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
gratefulgirl09

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
I am AA and I don't believe that it is the only way. It's the only way that I know enough about to discuss.
AA works for me because it gets me around other alcoholics that truly understand what I am going through. I am extremely shy, and need to be around the fellowship. I have had so many peolple reach out to me, and I can't wait until I can help a newcomer like I was helped. So I keep coming back. I attend 3-4 meetings a week, and for me, it helps me stay sober.

Do I believe that AA is the only path towards sobriety? Absolutely not! As long as you are willing to take an honest look at yourself, be willing to grow as a person, and stay sober, I believe you are doing the right thing.

I know a friend who got involved in physical activity when he got sober. He is surrounded by healthy people, and he isn't sitting at home by himself, nor is he surrounding himself with drunks. Do I think that I am managing my sobriety better than him because I go to AA? Again, absolutely not! He is making healthy changes in his life, just as I am. We may be doing it differentlty, but we are both staying sober, and that is all that truly matters.

There is no right or wrong way to deal with recovery and sobriety. Do what you feel is right, and you'll be ok