View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 07:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Music

Originally Posted by donweezy View Post
Why do all AA members believe AA is the only way to stay sober? All people I have encountered who go to AA believe and preach the steps, and that the AA way is your only chance at sobriety. I went to AA for the first 3 months of sobriety, and I feel like it helped me greatly. Now I feel that everything is so repetitive. I understand some people may need that repetitive message to stay sober, but I think some may practice abstinence other ways. Looking for some feedback, and peoples opinions. Thanks Yall!
I say "do whatever blows your hair back!" The key word here is "repetitive." When I drank, was I repetitive? Yup! I kept getting the same results. I kept getting drunk and making matters worse. In AA we're repetitive for different reason. Sobriety. The reason I keep doing the AA way is because it works for me. It's been working for me for 33 years and although I don't go to the number of meetings I used to go to, I still try to practice the principles in my affairs. I needed to be repetitive in order to grasp the meaning and gravity of those priciples in my life. What's the problem with being repetitive in a positive way, in order to not backslide into that negative repetition of drinking, and expecting a different result? That's nuts!!!

Hey, if anyone wants to try a different way than AA, knock yourself out. Give it a try. AA will still be here. My only point is that for an alcoholic like me, AA worked and is still working. I've never met an alcoholic like me who tried something else and succeeded. They always came back. Ya know, people who've driven chevys or fords, or used a certain toothpaste for years, swear by those things if they like the result and it seems to work for them. Why not talk up AA if it works? I say, if you think there's another way to get sober and stay sober, and you're happy with that way, come back and share your experiences with that way. AA will be here to listen.