View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Music

Originally Posted by Jenny1232 View Post
What is YOUR definition of an alcoholic?
I distinctly remember sitting in my first AA meeting ever, and introducing myself by saying my name, and that "I'm not sure if I'm an alcoholic or not!" Truth be known, everything in my life was in shambles and it all pointed in the direction of drinking. If alcohol causes problems, alcohol is a problem. If I can't quit drinking on my own, I obviously need help. I started to read the Big Book and among other things that caught my attention is the following quote from the Big Book.

"But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink."

This statement was true for me since my very first drink. Once I got a taste of the alcohol there was no stopping me. The only time I ever stopped with "just one" was when I made a promise or a bet. Every time I wished I'd never made such a stupid promise. I started fights with my wife so I could leave the house and go get "just one beer" knowing full well it wouldn't be just one. How many times I promised myself and God that I wouldn't "do it again if you just help me this time."

IMO, if you didn't have a problem with alcohol, you wouldn't be here asking questions. And, if you're concerned with your boyfriend's drinking, there's probably good reason. I suspect if you were honest, you could answer your own question instead of trying to get an exact definition; one which will never happen, at least that you'll agree with. Stop looking for an "out" and face the facts. If alcohol is causing you problems, alcohol is a problem.