View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 04:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
yeahgr8

Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
You know even though I'm young this is something I've thought about. I think it's important to avoid being all "alcohol is evil, don't ever touch it" to your kids, because they will end up having a few drinks and having some fun and thinking "Dad was lying or was wrong" etc.

What is important is to tell them to be very cautious, as was said above. Tell them about the dangers and that you'll always be there to talk to if they think they're drinking too much etc.

That said, I don't have any experience in this, just throwing in my 2c
Hi Ronan, 2 good points i got from your post...

There is a saying in AA, one of the many ones that are just as applicable in real life...attraction not promotion...for me anyone can talks bollocks...lets see you doing it yourself, because the latter will actually influence people, the former is just hot air:-)

And the second point is that for most people alcohol is used as a form of enjoyment, just because we choose not to use alcohol now knowing our condition doesn't mean we can ever cast a net and say it is bad for all...in this case that kind of talk to a young adult is going to send them right to the drink lol im a little away from young adult now (;-)) but i remember what i did if someone said you absolutely must never do that its a sin kind of thing;-)