View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sofacat
work in progress

Glad you found SR.

My XAH has a prescription drug problem as well (opiates)....and I do remeber a time when he thought he could drink because it was "never really the problem."

Then he went to a 30 day rehab facility and came out realizing that he cannot go near ANY mood altering substances...including booze.

There's not a whole lot you can do for Him....he has to tend to "his" while you just keep working on "yours". That's about the extent of it....

But it's no easy task to learn to detach...especially when you live together.

Stay here....read everything you can. The Stickies at the top of the forum are very helpful, and others will be along to help you on your journey as well.

We just try to remember the 3 C's:

You didn't cause it
You can't control it
You can't cure it

"he should talking someone who is going through what he is going through..."

Yes...that's best left up to those who know...but once again, he has to reach out on his own, just as you're reaching out now.

"I'm wondering if it would be helpful for me to mention his new thoughts about booze to his counselor."

Enablers like us usually have expectations attached to the "good deeds" we think we can perform. We magically think one of our "tasks" will have a huge impact on our "A"s. The bottom line is....he is the only one that will decide when he is ready to be sober. REALLY sober. And it will be in the moment of his choosing.