View Single Post
Old 05-13-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
cjsg

Jay

Srry your having to go through all of this, but at the same time I'm glad you are deciding to quit. I finally got clean after being an addict for close to 18 years. Over those years I got worse, started IVing opiates and benzos, and ended up living in a trash infested filthy house after having lost everything ABSOLUTLY everything in my life. I even almost lost that. I have been clean for over three months and I am amazed how great I feel. BUT when I was detoxing I too had the anxiety and all the crazy stuff going on mentally. ALl of this is just what we feel as we transition back to being sober. Don't let it concern you too much. I know its hard not to get carried away when it is happening to you but just let it take its course. It will subside. It took mine close to 2 weeks to go away.

Don't be surprised if you happen to become overwhelmed with very strong emotions... guilt over your actions, remorse....etc etc I mean the whole range may start coming back to life after being dulled down for so long. This happened to me and there were some days that I remember saying..wow this is just too much. I had to shrug it off and stay focused. Once you are clean and stable you will be better equipped to deal with all your feelings. I feel for you, really because opiate detox is hellish but to get our real selves back it is simply somthing that has to be done.... no way around it. I did hot baths, walking, video games, and a whole lot of cussing and restless legs, but I managed to pull through.

Someone strongly reccomended a follow up plan for after detox. Detox is just a first step. Meetings are damn good source of support. I scoffed at first at the notion and only went every now and then, but as time went on I found the power of the group setting and came to see there was something valuable in this group dynamic that is indeed helping me. It's worth going for a time to see if it might be the place for you. Also outpatient is a great idea DO IT. Event hough I have been clean for a short time and recently have been toying wiht the idea of outpatient. I have to say thanks for mentioning it in your posts because I am going to do it now, it can't hurt. We have to stay clean at all costs, a LOT of us die. There were a lot of extreme life changes that I HAD to make to get where I am today, which isn't too awful far but I am better and actually have hope for the future.

Laura, I had extreme dizziness during detox. It is a common thing we suffer however I would have to say that I might see a doctor about it. Detox is rough on us. Be careful and make sure you are hydrated, eating well, and not vitamin deficient. Take care of yourselves guys and keep going. Look for support in some sort of groups or meetings.