Notices

Getting off Opiates

Old 05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting off Opiates

Today is yet again the day I decided to quit opiates, I have been abuseing oxycodone for a little over a year now. I never shot the stuff...snorted it a few times drunk n dumb (very rare though) mainly just popped it. I never let the dose get to out of control average about 30-40mg a day.

What caused me to relapse after them 9 days was the fact that I was getting my tonsills out knowing I would be on liquid Perc for 2 weeks I had no motivation to stay clean...Well the surgery went well I was on about 40-60 mg of percoset per day for 10 days and took some vicodin for a few days to step down before my quit day which is today.

9 days was the best I ever did I had many 2-3 day failure attemps. This time I have to quit. I have no choice. I have a child on the way found this out right before surgery. Little about me I am 23/m been using drugs on and off since age 15. Did good for a while got a college degree good job. Past year sh*** gone down the drain. Almost died in january from my heart muscel becoming inflammed (myocarditis) all started with a tonsill infection and 104 fever so relive to have them cut out.

Any advice from other opiate addicts will help me and be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

I was snorting 320-480mg of oxycontin a day toward the end. Quit cold turkey with the help of NA. The first few days are brutal. i kept myself busy with NA meetings and other projects. Anything to take my mind off how i felt and the craving. Hot baths helped. Exercise helped. Good nutrition helped. Opiate withdrawal sucks a fat one, but you can get through it.

Once the withdrawal is done what are you gonna do? Do you have a program/support group in mind?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am also an addict that used opiates . I used for close to a year and it was the worst time of my life. I would suggest going to a local NA meeting and to keep posting and here. Welcome and Ill keep you in my prayers . Keep posting.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Looking into the local NA and I figured this web site would do nothing but help. Also since my insurence deductable is met I can go to hazelton out patient at no charge and thats a pretty popular treatment center but far drive 3-4 days a weeks so thinking NA.

How long did it take you guys for the Anxeity n down moods to subside?
Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jay

Lots of our members have experience with oxys and with NA
You may also want to check out our substance abuse forum

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Welcome to SR
D
Old 05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jay,

Welcome and I'm glad you're ready to live a sober life.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

If you got drunk and dumb and railed it, like me a million times you may have a problem with alcohol as well and maybe like me that may be your biggest problem if it is leading you to do things you normally wouldnt, which is where it took me EVERYTIME I drank at the end, which was only 3 days ago so you may want to talk to your Dr about that too.
<3 Dreams (of help for you!)
Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the hard boose always led to trouble for me. I gave up liquor 6 months ago. Sometimes have a few beers but havent even done that in like 2 months. Last thing I want is to get drunk and do stupid **** again.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Jay! I was an addict, addicted to Roxy 30's and OC40's for 2 yrs. I had to snort about 4 pills a day. Today makes 9 days that I havent had anything, I didn't taper myself down or anything...i just quit cold turkey. Im not gonna lie... it sucks so bad. But look what you can look forward to!! Your sweet little baby... you will be able to provide for your family instead of spending money on your habit. Trust me it will only get worse if you keep doing them... i started out with percs and hydros... then i couldnt feel them anymore... so we went to something stronger. In the 2 yrs, we spent well over 20,000 on them and lost our home, vehicle and most importantly my husband and I lost our friendship. All our minds consumed of was pills pills pills...where we gonna get this one? how we gonna get that one?
The withdrawls are bad, but yours may not be *as bad as mine was considering I was on a stronger med. But I took xanax to help me keep my mind off of it, i had back pain...well all over pain... headaches.... restless leg... couldnt sleep... couldnt move at that... felt like i had to wind myself up to get up....would get tired soooo quick. Couldnt even walk to the bathroom without just wanting to sit there for an hour! It took me about a good 7 days to see and feel any improvement. Now 9 days later, I feel like I snort them all over again---Im high on life!! Im back to my normal self again.... i love it!I love not having to worry about pills pills pills!! Its a great feeling... but it has to be something you really want... and you have to stay strong... because the cravings get bad... but you just think of how far you have become... remember...that one pill got you where you are today!!! Good luck and keep in touch!! Im here for ya!
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Thumbs up Great Job Laura

I'm very proud of you. I was snorting/shooting (ewwww I know I know I cant believe it myself) up to snorting well over 500 mg of OC and about the same of shooting roxies.

Last shot and rail were about a week ago now and Im finally feeling decent, quit drinkng 3 days ago now too! Going through that now, which is honestly (and I was not drinking a little or for a short whoile and went out with a nice 5 day binge of beer from morning till passing out and drinking berres in between waking and sleeping all night long until the early morn. where I HAD to do it over again to get through the day) but I did it too got off that evil sh@#....

It;s so nice to know others ar ein this w/ me, I am VERY proud of you... Sice we had similar backrounds I should add you as a friend, is that cool?

Keep up the good work, sorry to hijack your post, just had to say good work here b/c its sooo hard to do.... <3 Dreams (super proud ones for others like you too!)
Old 05-11-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Laura24 thanks for the advice it means alot same goes for you dream to be clean tand feel free to add me as a friend. I am on day 2 now got the chills hands feel shaky although when I look at them they are not shaking, restless leg syrom last night did sleep some though. no ambition, anxeity that and the cravings are the worse...
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

for me the physical wd lasted about a week. Keep hanging in there it will get better you have a choice today. You never have to use again. And vicks vapor rub helps with restless legs. I know it sound weird but put it on you feet and then put your socks on it helped me.
Here is the website for you to find a local helpline, webpage and meeting.
Home
Old 05-12-2010, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 3 not much better. Went out drinking for a freind bday yesterday. Both being laid off we went for early morning drinks from 11am-8pm. Not the brightest thing to do but made it through the day without using any opiates and as silly as it sounds the boose hangover is keeping my mind of the pill withdrawl but overall feel like crap either way.
First time I had beer in months and dont plan on having any beers again for a while.
Today just trying to stay busy but finding it hard to find anything to do that stiumlates my mind. Suggestions welcome...

in conclusion taking it a day at a time fighting craving that are there on average once every 3 minutes. I am looking forward to being me again.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know for me using alcohol was a problem too for me it always led back to me taking a pill. I now know I can not take any substance including alcohol. My suggestion would be in your free time read a book, go to a meeting, or take a walk.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

UPDATE: I turned down a 10mg Perciset about an Hour ago. Offer came in a text message. I simply replied that I was doing everything I can to quit so no thanks. She replied back good for you and that she was sorry for asking she didnt know.

I then deleted the number from my phone. Thats a very hard thing to do...

So for those of you who have cleaned up does the withdrawl seem to cause any of you feelings of extreme anxenity... a little depression thats not to bad I just think happy thoughts lol corny as it sounds....but the freaking out feeling doesnt stop with just happy thoughts its just being all jittery...kinda feel like looseing your head.... looking for assurence that this will pass....if so when... on day 3
Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Jay! Yes that feeling does eventually go away. I felt very sad, scared and alot of anxiety...especially around day 4-7. And then the cravings started real bad, and today makes 14 days... i am finally over the w/d's still don't have my energy back like I would like, but i can actually get up and go...without feeling like i have to wind myself up. But im not sure what is going on with me... every single time i get up it doesnt matter if i am laying down or sitting on the couch, every time i get up... i feel like im going to pass out...i get extremely light headed and have to just stop where im at and close my eyes. i dont know whats going on... but it sucks. i hope you're still doing good... keep me updated.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jay1986 View Post
UPDATE: I turned down a 10mg Perciset about an Hour ago. Offer came in a text message. I simply replied that I was doing everything I can to quit so no thanks. She replied back good for you and that she was sorry for asking she didnt know.

I then deleted the number from my phone. Thats a very hard thing to do...

So for those of you who have cleaned up does the withdrawl seem to cause any of you feelings of extreme anxenity... a little depression thats not to bad I just think happy thoughts lol corny as it sounds....but the freaking out feeling doesnt stop with just happy thoughts its just being all jittery...kinda feel like looseing your head.... looking for assurence that this will pass....if so when... on day 3
I had extreme anxiety to' when detoxing of opiats so bad i could hardly speek..thats passed after a couple of weeks .and turned to miled anxiety witch i still have. but its totaly managabull. now.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Jay

Srry your having to go through all of this, but at the same time I'm glad you are deciding to quit. I finally got clean after being an addict for close to 18 years. Over those years I got worse, started IVing opiates and benzos, and ended up living in a trash infested filthy house after having lost everything ABSOLUTLY everything in my life. I even almost lost that. I have been clean for over three months and I am amazed how great I feel. BUT when I was detoxing I too had the anxiety and all the crazy stuff going on mentally. ALl of this is just what we feel as we transition back to being sober. Don't let it concern you too much. I know its hard not to get carried away when it is happening to you but just let it take its course. It will subside. It took mine close to 2 weeks to go away.

Don't be surprised if you happen to become overwhelmed with very strong emotions... guilt over your actions, remorse....etc etc I mean the whole range may start coming back to life after being dulled down for so long. This happened to me and there were some days that I remember saying..wow this is just too much. I had to shrug it off and stay focused. Once you are clean and stable you will be better equipped to deal with all your feelings. I feel for you, really because opiate detox is hellish but to get our real selves back it is simply somthing that has to be done.... no way around it. I did hot baths, walking, video games, and a whole lot of cussing and restless legs, but I managed to pull through.

Someone strongly reccomended a follow up plan for after detox. Detox is just a first step. Meetings are damn good source of support. I scoffed at first at the notion and only went every now and then, but as time went on I found the power of the group setting and came to see there was something valuable in this group dynamic that is indeed helping me. It's worth going for a time to see if it might be the place for you. Also outpatient is a great idea DO IT. Event hough I have been clean for a short time and recently have been toying wiht the idea of outpatient. I have to say thanks for mentioning it in your posts because I am going to do it now, it can't hurt. We have to stay clean at all costs, a LOT of us die. There were a lot of extreme life changes that I HAD to make to get where I am today, which isn't too awful far but I am better and actually have hope for the future.

Laura, I had extreme dizziness during detox. It is a common thing we suffer however I would have to say that I might see a doctor about it. Detox is rough on us. Be careful and make sure you are hydrated, eating well, and not vitamin deficient. Take care of yourselves guys and keep going. Look for support in some sort of groups or meetings.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

cjsg thank you for your advice helps a lot... Laura go to a Dr they can put a little thing on your finger and this will messure your Oxygen level in your blood. Anty time I go to Dr now they do that becheause I had myocarditis a heart condition in Jan. Thankfully I have no permanent damange to my heart but they still do this as precatuion. Mine is always between 98 and 100. When I had anxeity/panic attack a while back this is a VERY common symptom which has no real danger...its due to a slight change in blood vessels in your brain stil was scary but maybe get a quick check up to be sure best be safe... in the mean time try sitting up really slow to reduce how quick your blood pressure drops upon standing.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well I f**** up. Cleaning out my car last night I found a empty cig pack with a half a 20 mg oxy in it. So like a junkie pill popper u see in the movies I scraped the shell of it and ate it. Feel a lot of regret for doing what I did. Today is a new day and a sober one at that. Its a lot of guilt on my councience thats all I really have to say. Guess that makes today, day 1 again